template

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Arrrgh!!! Summer Reading Camp.....Pirate Style!

For the past two weeks, I have been lucky enough to be a part of my school's summer reading camp.  It is a 2 week intensive reading intervention camp for our rising 2nd and 3rd graders.  I totally viewed this camp as my chance to THEME OUT!  I usually don't have a classroom theme, because I like a combination to too many things, but with a camp setting like this, it was the perfect time to try out a theme.  And, being that we are living in the home of the PIRATES....what better theme could there be!!  I mean, at one time I even WAS a pirate!!  I bleed purple and gold!! (see below)

Arrrgh!  Me and Mike (now referred to as hubs) cheering on our Pirates!
Anyway, that's another story for another day, and all of these things lead to our decision to go with the pirate theme.  We collaborated ideas, collected read alouds, smartboard lessons, and printables from Anna Brantley on TpT.  LOVE the CENTERS!!  These centers were pirate themed and perfect for our struggling readers!

Here are a few snapshots of the things that we were doing during camp!  Enjoy!

Our reading rotation chart for center time

Up close:)  Each group had a "pirate name".  So for this rotation, the landlubbers were at the reading center.

Here is our work journal, where we recorded our morning journal entries and all of our reading work.  Also, there is a bookmark on the desk that I downloaded from this website.  The pirate on the corner was used as a name plate!

Close up of the name plate!






My Crew!!
Predictions in our Reading Journal (for Pip the Penguin)


Anna Brantley's Read the Room Center...Love!


Read the room cards from Anna Brantley!

Arrrgh!  Room Decoration aka Yard Flag:)

Anna Brantley's Pirate Literacy Centers-laminated and organized for storage!

Pirate read alouds used for teaching reading skills

Work Samples from our Good Work board in the hallway


This is our class work board that I hung in the hall.  Each camper had work on the board, and a gold coin with their name on it to identify whose was whose.


My co-teacher's board hanging across the hall!



Eager campers!!


A circle map of the new reading words that we learned about during camp!  I am so proud of them!!
 So, overall I would say that reading camp was a huge success!  The kids had fun, and I enjoyed getting to use a theme!  Happy Camping!

No comments:

Post a Comment